Monday, September 15, 2008

once again, Cooper stands out in the crowd


Ok, really, this is more of a brag about Cooper amazing taste buds, then my food preparation skills. So, remember the phone call from Cooper's teacher about his healthy lunches? Being a true Maine woman, I have taken this compliment with great stride, and force myself to work harder and harder to make even more diverse, healthy lunches.


This is Cooper's lunch today. Humus and Tabouli on whole wheat pita bread. A hard boiled egg (which, is more often then not pickled in pickled beat juice- again, his choice!) grapes, a cheese stick, and cashews and pretzels. Then for his afternoon snack he's got an apple and a granola bar.


Really, I ask you, what five year old eats like this?

3 comments:

Our Crazy Happy Family said...

LOL...since we have gotten on a health kick in this house Lily is refusing most junk and asking for apples and fruits and such. I offered McDonalds the other day and was turned down and told she would rather have something healthy at home. Doesn't it make you feel so good to now you are doing something right for them :)

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a good lunch to me. Except I am vegan so minus the cheese!

Leah said...

well it is encouraging to hear that kids actually WANT to eat like this! I had a similar experience at church when I gave kids apples (granny smith no less) with cinnamon for snack during children's church. they all were like "Ewww! Gross!" I encouraged them to try it and after about 5 minutes of prodding and finally trying it they were begging for Seconds!!! I still hear from one little girl who actually ASKS me to bring apples the next time we do children's church!!!

It gives me hope because already worry about how I will feed my future children based on the "weird" healthy food we are eating now.