Wednesday, July 23, 2008

wow, I guess he really loves school!

At the end of preschool, I decided to sign Cooper up for Mrs. Porter's summer program, which consists of three mornings a week, for four weeks. I knew this was a good decision when Cooper woke up the second day of school vacation, and informed me that he was "soooo bored."

Monday night, when I tucked Cooper into bed, I reminded him that in the morning, he'll be going to Mrs. Porter's. He was SO excited! 5am Tuesday morning, and Cooper comes limping into my room. Apparently, he had twisted his ankle a bit jumping off the diving board (which really deserves it's own post- Cooper is a swimming fool!) and by morning it was very sore, and just a bit swollen.

So I tuck him in bed next to me, and like I knew he would, he fell right asleep. When we all woke to start our day an hour or so later, he had forgotten about the ankle until he stepped out of bed. Poor little guy, he couldn't put hardly any pressure on it, and limped around the room. However- over and over again, he told me that he was "ok" while holding the wall while he walked, and hopping on his good foot.

Now everyone knows that Cooper can be, um, a bit on the dramatic side. He tends to make a HUGE deal out of seemingly little things. As I watch Cooper hobble around downstairs, literally biting his lip through the pain, I just can't believe how much of a trooper he is being. Admittedly, I was wondering if he had some arterial motives for such total compliance.

I get him set up on the couch, foot elevated, with an ice pack. I really felt bad for him, it's always awful for me to see one of my children in pain. I keep telling him over and over again how well he is taking this. Finally, he asks me:

"Mom, you aren't going to make me stay home from school, are you?"

He was petrified that I was going to keep him from going to Mrs. Porter's. :) I realized that the day will come that Cooper will use any excuse to get out of going to school, but for now I'm milking his love for school for all it's worth.

No comments: