Sunday, July 20, 2008

well, shows what a country girl *I* am!

Several nights ago, Aaron and I were outside watching the bats wiz around, when he heard coyotes attacking an animal, not all that far from the house (ok, they weren't on our land or anything. . . but close enough for me) We stood in silence for a while listening. We still have our I-can't-believe-we-really-live-out-in-the-woods moments, and this was certainly one of them.

So now, I'm just a little more cautious in making sure the cats are in at night. No problem getting Carlos in, he's too much of a mamas boy to be out after dark.

Friday morning, I drop the kids off with my mother while I teach, and walk back home. On my way back, I notice an animal walking around the road up ahead of me. As I get closer, I try and squint to see what it is. A large dog? Maybe a baby moose? (ok, wishful thinking, but I can't come to terms with NEVER seeing a moose!) The closer I get, the more I start to think about the coyotes from the other night. I convince myself that I'm looking at a very large coyote, which is certainly rabid if it's walking around the road in the daylight. A quick detour in my walk puts me right in my backyard. All day I think about my "brush with a rabid coyote"

Of course I tell my mother about seeing the beast. She can't believe I got that close to one. I reminded her that I stayed far back, so far that with the shade it was in and all, I couldn't see it all that well.

Yeah. Good call Suzanne. You know what the mystery beast turned out to be? A newborn foal that had gotten out of the fence at the horse farm across the street. I mistook a baby horse for a coyote. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't get it the other way around. . .and take my kids up the road to pet the rabid coyote.

1 comment:

Our Crazy Happy Family said...

Oh Suzanne! I hope there are no rabid fowls in my area! LOL!!

I hear you on the coyotes though...one has been spotted in our neighborhood. There used to be lots of stray cats in our neighborhood...not anymore.