Wednesday, February 25, 2009

february peepers




























I know, I know. . .who gets chicks in the middle of the winter? Apparently, we do. Our "Easter chicks" arrived early- like, super early. Well, the manager at Agway did say they would be in by Easter. Oh well, I guess this just means that we'll have eggs sooner.

Needless to say, the kids are quite excited. Bless their hearts, they are being very gentle and loving to the chicks. I have had to stop Tagg from putting books and toys in the brooding box (he told me "mama, but the chickies look like they need something to read") but just caught him with his little face over the box, singing "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor to them. (I can hear the collective Awwwww's when you read this)

Cooper is certainly the most excited, as he's known for a while that collecting the eggs is going to be his job. Last night, before bed, he told me

"I'm SO excited to collect eggs this weekend!"

I didn't have the heart to tell him how long it will actually be before we're collecting eggs.

The one in the house least excited about the new additions is Carlos, our 85lb golden retriever. He is absolutely petrified of the chicks. I guess I don't have to worry about him eating the them. He's scared of the basement now. . .I just watched him walk by the door cautiously, and scoot by real quick when he heard the smallest "peep"

my big ol' watchdog :)

1 comment:

Nana said...

Wow, Cooper looks just lke Aaron at that age.


Cutie Petutie!