Thursday, April 17, 2008

spring has definitly sprung!

Well, it is finally here- beautiful weather! This week has been so lovely, the kids and I have been outside ALL DAY LONG. Literally, we come inside for food and Tagg's nap, then back out till bedtime.

While I am so very thankful to finally be outside, I think we might have underestimated the amount of raking that would be needed to bring the yard up to par. I'm pretty sure the land has gone neglected for some time now, so we are dealing with years of back maintenance. I promise I'm not complaining though. . .it is still fabulous to be outside in the fresh air and working on the land.

A few days ago, my father came over to check out the clean up process (he'll say he just stopped by to pick up his dog, but really I know he wanted to see how everything is coming.) He looked at the plot that we had tilled at the end of the fall for my garden. His comment was:

" Hmm, doesn't seem so big now. Seems a shame not to have a bigger garden with all this space."

"Well Dad, it is still five times bigger then my last garden, I'm pretty happy."

"Yeah, true I guess"

I knew exactly what that meant. This afternoon, he showed up with his tractor, and started ripping up the ground around the garden, and back toward the woods to make more gardening space. (about twice as much!) Being the farmer at heart, my father knows that his apple didn't fall far from the tree. His comment to me when I came out to see him smiling ;

"You better plan on canning" :)

1 comment:

Apryl said...

He he he - that sounds just like your dad! "Go hard, or go home" as they say in the Army. Good luck with the garden; it sounds like you'll have some great help - from ALL the strapping young boys you're surrounded with, you lucky duck. :)